Powerful Storms Threaten Costal Areas
Costal damage after a hurricane.
As global temperatures increase and sea levels rise due to melting glaciers, cities and towns situated along coastal areas are at an increased threat of being hit by catastrophic storms. Eroding coastlines are bringing dangerous surf closer to residences and businesses situated by shorelines. Recent hurricanes have inundated these communities with extreme flooding and torrential rain, leaving tremendous destruction in their wake. Costs to repair disaster zones reach into the billions and increase with each storm, leaving questions about extensive recovery and ways to possibly minimize future losses. Advanced weather models predict massive storms will become more frequent as ocean temperatures continue to rise. Ocean temperatures remaining high for longer periods of time are fueling stronger storms and allowing them to strike seaside communities with greater regularity.
SERVPRO of South Jersey City/ Bayonne has personally witnessed the damage following powerful storms. Our mitigation experts have mobilized to areas outside of our region to assist with recovery in seaside towns burdened with staggering losses. Based in New Jersey, our very own neighborhoods situated along the long coast are repeatedly threatened with severe flooding by forecasted disturbances. Our franchise is always prepared to help with mitigation and repairs following a formidable water disaster while at the same time, wondering how changes in weather will ultimately impact our environment.
Summer Fire Danger
Wildfires can quickly spread and cause mass destruction.
The transition from cold and wet winter to warm, dryer weather contributes to higher levels of fire danger. As temperatures starts to rise in the late spring and early summer, lower levels of rainfall, bright sunshine and high wind increase the chance of dry brush creating a flame. Uncontrollable wildfires threaten enormous forested areas leading to widespread incineration of woods and nearby structures. Campfires and grills can provide the single spark to mass destruction. Cigarettes thrown from a car can turn leaves and trees into a burning hotbox. Even small brush fires and smoking mulch can easily spread, setting nearby structures alight.
The public can help minimize the potential for summer fires by being aware of atmospheric conditions and taking notice of weather alerts. The US Forest Service posts daily fire danger levels at State and National Parks around the country to keep residents up to date. Campers especially need to be very mindful of their activity in the forest to prevent the ground around them from developing a flame. Power companies should inspect equipment near wooded areas on a regular basis and proactively replace ageing parts and systems. Home and business owners need to keep excessive leaves and brush away from structures to prevent potential flammability during prolonged dry weather.
Summer is the time for enjoying the outdoors, relaxing and having fun. It is to everyone’s benefit for each of us to do our best to prevent warm weather fires from harming the environment we live in.
Unbelievable Wind Damage!
Damage from wind is on the rise.
A recent report of dust blowing from Texas and later falling as snow in Minnesota due to an early spring blizzard really caught our attention. Here at SERVPRO of South Jersey City/ Bayonne, we have noticed an increase in damaging high wind events. Hurricanes are increasing in strength and frequency, coupled with changes in the jet stream, causing widespread costly property destruction. Powerful tornadoes continue to flatten entire communities in a matter of minutes. Falling trees from extreme wind events are a major cause of structural losses throughout the country on a regular basis.
SERVPRO of South Jersey City/ Bayonne is always well prepared to respond to homes and businesses affected by wind damage. Often times, water can enter structures affected by wind, requiring our mitigation experts to quickly tarp damaged areas and start the drying process inside until repairs can begin. Experienced technicians from our franchise have also traveled out of state to assist with large-scale recovery following devastating hurricanes. Although wind storms are difficult to gauge, SERVPRO of South Jersey City/ Bayonne has the tools and knowledge to secure and restore properties affected by wind in our ever changing environment.
Simple Fire Safety Tips
Test alarms and change the batteries to ensure your smoke alarms are working properly.
Actively taking steps to prevent fires can easily save lives and property from severe destruction. Being mindful of potential hazards and following simple safety rules can drastically reduce the threat of fire.
Tips are as follows:
- Take the time to inspect smoke alarms on a yearly basis. Replace batteries and test each alarm to make sure they are working properly. Replace alarms based on the manufacture’s recommended guidelines. Do not obstruct alarms and be sure to install carbon monoxide detectors on each floor and within 10 feet of a bedroom for added protection.
- Keep young children and pets away from stoves, lighters and ovens. Unplug appliances when they are not in use. Pay special attention to space heaters; turn off and unplug heaters which are not attended.
- Do not leave lit candles unattended. Keep them out of the reach of children and pets.
- Clean dryer vents and attached ducts every few months. Inspect the HVAC system on a regular basis and keep the area around it clean and free of clutter.
- Make sure all fireplaces, fire pits, grills, and torches are distinguished when they are not attended.
- Keep excessive leaves and brush away from your home or business. Do not store gasoline or propane near anything with a flame. Be sure to have cars inspected regularly to reduce the risk of fire.
- Inspect extension cords and recycle those which are frayed and worn.
- Be sure to have functional fire extinguishers in the kitchen and within proximity to appliances with a flame.
Keeping these safety basics in mind, you are being proactive in keeping your home or business safe from fire!
Monday Morning Surprise!
Water discovered on the floor Monday morning.
The manager of a real estate office in Weehawken walked into a flooded office Monday morning and was shocked at the amount of water on the floor. He immediately called SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne to clean up the water. Our team of water removal experts arrived within the hour to begin the drying process of the wet materials.
After extracting the water from the floor, our team placed drying equipment to take care of any lingering moisture in the office. Since the technicians arrived shortly after the loss happened, it was possible to save the carpeting from demolition. Our attentive administrative staff were able to find the realtors temporary office space during the cleanup. The manager was very impressed with the short time frame!
SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies no matter how large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, taking action immediately is essential. A quick response from our experienced team reduces the spread of damage and ensures successful drying to get you back in business!
Heavy Rain Affects Home in Edgewater, NJ
Water flooded the basement.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many moreWe were onsite within an hour to inspect the damage and to begin the water extraction process. In less than four days we had the basement dry. We use advanced inspection and monitoring equipment to determine your home’s structure is actually dry. We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- If water damage is not handled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to your home’s structure not to mention the potential harmful health effects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
- The flooding in this Edgewater home was caused by heavy rain runoff. Edgewater had received over several inches of rain that week and it overwhelmed the system.
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- We have advanced inspection and extraction equipment
- Have Questions? Call Us Today – We’re Here To Help - 201-333-3200
Water Trapped Behind the Wall
Water behind the wall from runoff.
Even though SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne was called in to dry out a commercial building which had wet carpets from a water purifier, we took the initiative to take care on an ongoing issue behind the walls. The water originated from improper run off due to the building's gutters and outside slope. We picked up some leader extensions so that the water would run away from the building. As you can see, overtime the water had run behind the walls causing the paint to peel.
Always take some time to inspect your property around your window wells and foundation walls. Clear your gutters and add some gutter down spout extensions so the water does not end up against your foundation. Any water that lays there will most likely work its way into your home and over time create possible mold issues.
SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne will always provide you with advice to avoid future losses and develop an emergency ready plan for you.
Wallpaper Can Hold Moisture
Mold from moisture can hide behind the wallpaper.
Water leaks and moisture are not always present in areas which are visible to home and business owners. Over time, slow leaks and high levels of humidity can cause mold to form under floors, behind walls and in air ducts. SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne's expertly trained water mitigation technicians were called out to a home which had a water loss due to a broken sprinkler head. Once the crew started to remove the wallpaper, they realized mold had formed after a former slow leak from the air conditioning system.
This room looks like it's fine but a closer inspection shows mold is growing under the wall paper. If your walls are wet and the wall paper remains in place, it can act as a vapor barrier preventing the drying process from occurring. Chances are the insulation behind the wall is also affected. Water will wick up a wall 1" per hour for the first 12 hours.
SERVPRO is always ready to take care of homes and businesses affected by disaster. Call us at 201-333-3200, 24 hours a day, and seven days a week.
Another Floor Saved!
Wood flooring saved using drying mats.
When this 3 story Weehawkin home was flooded, the insurance agent said he did not think we could save the floors. He was surprised that we saved every floor and we did not have to make the homeowners move out to demo. The insurance company and the homeowner were thrilled with the work our folks did.
SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 201-333-3200
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne
SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event.
High School Water Line Break
Classroom with equipment.
When a local high school suffered a water main break on the 4th floor which flooded out 3 class rooms, they called SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne to dry out the affected areas. Our team was able to remediate the damage, all while working around classrooms in session in the rest of the building. Our certified ASD water professionals were on site within 1 hour to set up containment and place equipment along with air scrubbers to assure that students were provided with a safe environment.
Rest assured that when your municipal township or local school district calls on SERVPRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne, we will be on site quickly to stabilize and restore your buildings using proper mitigation protocol according to industry standards.
SERPVRO of South Jersey City/Bayonne is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to handle the largest and most complex water restoration project. Call us anytime at 201-333-3200.